Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Nostalgia Success - Batman

     I've said before on this blog that I've been re-visiting my childhood by watching DVDs of old cartoons, and bringing my boys along for the ride. The last few Saturdays we have watched another 70s TV cartoon that I remembered but had not seen for a long time - "The New Adventures of Batman" from 1977.  
     I have heard around the Web that in the 1970s the television networks insisted that 'super hero' cartoons keep the violence to a minimum - Batman wasn't allowed to punch anyone!  Compared with today's superhero cartoons, this sounds like a recipe for boring. I was afraid when I put the DVD in that I'd be cringing in dismay. Well, it turns out to not be so. My boys are enjoying them thoroughly, and I'm having fun too. 
     The tone, both in the dialogue, the setups and the background music is far from the grim tone of the recent Batman films or the Batman character from the "Justice League Unlimited" series. The campy silliness of the 60's TV show shows through with the return of Adam West and Burt Ward as the voices of the Dynamic Duo. Most of the villains are more amusing than threatening. The good guys win, the animation both of characters and background is good, if not outstanding, and there's a good dose of humor. I understand that a lot of Batman fans absolutely hate "Bat-Mite", the miniature and self-appointed sidekick to the Duo. I can't say I like him, but he's certainly less annoying than Scrappy-Doo, or some other sidekicks I could name.
     Well, why am I sitting here at the computer instead of in the living room watching cartoons with my boys?  I think I've made my point clear. Holy Cartoon Saturday! 

No comments: