Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

So you're into opera now?

Maybe. I've recently signed up to get The Critic's Notebook, "Weekly recommendations from the editors of The New Criterion on what to read, see, and hear in the world of culture."

This week they recommend that I get tickets to the Metropolitan Opera to watch Maria Stuarda, which I'm guessing is about Mary Stuart, queen of England, better known as Mary Queen of Scots. 

Obviously this is from before she gets her head cut off.
I am not a fan of opera; but I'm not opposed to it either. The Broadway musical Phantom of the Opera is about as close as I get to opera most of the time, but I (and you) should be willing to give it a try.

Here's a video still from the Met's website:


I can't get the video to work, so follow the link at the top and scroll down to it. Or try this YouTube video.

Because Western Culture is worth celebrating.

No comments: