Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 22, 2012

TR on Character

I came across this essay, Character and Success by Theodore Roosevelt, today while I was looking for something for my wife - George Washington's Rules of Civility. (maybe I'll post that too at some point) Roosevelt, or TR as he often called himself, was among other things an idealist. I've heard that lately Glenn Beck has been giving TR a hard time for some of his policies as President, but leaving that aside, I think Beck or anyone else who cares about the state of the American soul (if countries had souls) would agree that TR's words of wisdom should be widely broadcast and widely heeded. I put a small poster up in my boy's room with a quote from this essay to serve as a reminder of the importance of character. It says:
     "Bodily vigor is good, and vigor of intellect is even better, but far above both is character."

     A good summary, but the whole essay is worth the read. Check it out here: http://www.foundationsmag.com/tr-character.html


No comments: