Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 14, 2013

Defenestration

     Defenestration - this has long been one of my favorite words. It's so odd-sounding and complicated and funny all at the same time. It is an uncommon word, but it has shown up in odd places like an old Calvin & Hobbes Sunday comic strip. I've used it in conversation and a few years ago when I was laying a new floor in our bedroom, I actually did it. If you don't know about this wonderfully odd word, check out this informative video from Merriam-Webster.com (an invaluable resource for wordsmiths).


File:Defenestration-prague-1618.jpg

     Now, I don't recommend or approve of throwing people out of windows, just for the record. While I was installing new flooring, it was convenient for me to throw the wood scraps and packaging out the window, onto my deck, where I collected it and disposed of it. Defenestration saved me the trouble of hauling it all down the stairs, is all. 

1 comment:

Craig A. Glesner said...

Ah, such a lovely word. It is rather popular in my little group.