Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

16 Quotes about Librarians from authors & literature


So the America I loved still exists, if not in the White House or the Supreme Court or the Senate or the House of Representatives or the media. The America I love still exists at the front desks of our public libraries.”
Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

“Most people don't realize how important librarians are. I ran across a book recently which suggested that the peace and prosperity of a culture was solely related to how many librarians it contained. Possibly a slight overstatement. But a culture that doesn't value its librarians doesn't value ideas and without ideas, well, where are we?”
Neil Gaiman

“I'm just the librarian. I can only give you the books. I can't give you the answers.”
Kami Garcia, Beautiful Creatures

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.”
Neil Gaiman

“Adult librarians are like lazy bakers: their patrons want a jelly doughnut, so they give them a jelly doughnut. Children’s librarians are ambitious bakers: 'You like the jelly doughnut? I’ll get you a jelly doughnut. But you should try my cruller, too. My cruller is gonna blow your mind, kid.”
John Green

“Rule number one: Don't #### with librarians.”
Neil Gaiman

“The librarian isn't a clerk who happens to work in a library. A librarian is a data hound, a guide, a sherpa and a teacher. The librarian is the interface between reams of data and the untrained but motivated user.”
― Seth Godin, The Library Book

“Back before the internet we had a name for people who bought a single copy of our books and lent them to all their friends without charging: we called them "librarians".”
― Charles Stross

“Librarians! Librarians always know how to find out things. That was their job even before the Internet.”
― Susan Beth Pfeffer, This World We Live In

“Librarians understand about power - they know how to find anything.”
― Joan Bauer, Best Foot Forward

“I was under the librarians' protection. Civil servants and servants of civility, they had my back. The would be whatever they needed to be that day: information professionals, teachers, police, community organizers, computer technicians, historians, confidantes, clerks, social workers, storytellers, or, in this case, guardians of my peace.”
― Marilyn Johnson, This Book Is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All

“As a librarian I learned one of life’s great truths: you don’t have to know all the answers, you just have to know where to find them.”
― Lucia St. Clair Robson

“Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am.
And what is that?
I... am a librarian.”
― The Mummy

“Librarians are tour-guides for all of knowledge.”
― Patrick Ness

“If librarianship is the connecting of people to ideas – and I believe that is the truest definition of what we do – it is crucial to remember that we must keep and make available, not just good ideas and noble ideas, but bad ideas, silly ideas, and yes, even dangerous or wicked ideas.”
― Graceanne A. Decandido

“Libraries are like houses of worship: Whether or not you use them yourself, it's important to know that they are there. In many ways they define a society and the values of that society. Librarians to me are the keepers of the flame of knowledge. When I was growing up, the librarian in my local library looked like a meek little old lady, but after you spent some time with her, you realized she was Athena with a sword, a wise and wonderful repository of wisdom.”
― Jane Stanton Hitchcock

All of these quotes were found at GoodReads.

1 comment:

Ummey Rezwana said...

I found your website the other day and after reading a handful of posts, thought I would say thank you for all the great content.
Keep it coming! I will try to stop by here more often.To get new information visit here
quotes about happiness
be happy quotes
happiness quotes
happy quotes